One of the most common questions we get asked by clients is ‘How can I make the event more memorable?’ Over the years we've noticed that people want more from events and not just an away day, training or conference in a basement that no one will remember.
You want to create a bit of a buzz, refresh the team and give them something fun to talk about for months to come.
An away day is more than just a day out of the office; it's an opportunity to bond, rejuvenate, and refocus your team. Here are our top tips for making your away day into a really memorable experience!
1. Set Clear Objectives
Before diving into the fun stuff, it's essential to define what you want to achieve. Are you aiming for team bonding, strategic planning, or both? Setting clear objectives will guide your activities and ensure the day is productive.
2. Choose a Unique Venue
The environment plays a significant role in setting the mood. Consider venues that are a departure from the usual – a countryside retreat, a skyscraping showstopper, or even a treehouse! The novelty of the location can spark creativity and enthusiasm - and it'll definitely make it stick in attendees' minds for longer!!
Venues are our bread and butter so you're in the right place to find the perfect venue for your event! Check out our blog on the most memorable away day settings in London for some inspiration or browse all of our favourites on our site below!
3. Plan Engaging Activities
- Outdoor Challenges: Activities like obstacle courses, treasure hunts, or team sports can foster teamwork and challenge individuals to step out of their comfort zones.
- Creative Workshops: Painting, pottery, or even cooking classes can be a fun way for team members to express themselves and discover hidden talents.
- Problem-solving Games: Escape rooms or strategy board games can stimulate the mind and encourage collaborative thinking.
We work with plenty of fantastic suppliers who provide fun team experiences and activities, from cocktail-making to crafts and scavenger hunts! Check them out below!
4. Delicious Food and Drink
- Local Delicacies: If you're in a new location, explore local cuisines. It can be a culinary adventure that the team can share.
- DIY Food Stations: Taco bars, pizza-making stations, or DIY sandwich counters can make mealtime interactive and fun.
- Stay Hydrated: Ensure there's a mix of beverages, from refreshing juices and water to coffee and perhaps a selection of wines or local brews for the evening.
We work with some fabulous caterers and can heartily recommend them! Check out some of the best below!
5. Ice Breakers to Kickstart the Day
- Two Truths and a Lie: A classic game where each person shares two truths and one lie about themselves, and others guess the lie.
- Human Bingo: Create bingo cards with fun facts or experiences. Team members mingle and find people who match the facts on their card.
- Speed Networking: Just like speed dating but for professional connections. It allows team members to get to know each other beyond their job titles.
6. Get Fired Up for the Next Quarter
- Vision Boarding: Have team members create vision boards for the next quarter, using magazines, printouts, and markers. It's a visual and creative way to set goals, and helps to shake up the standard presentation format.
- Guest Speakers: Invite motivational speakers or industry experts to inspire and provide fresh perspectives. Better yet, keep it a surprise so that your team has something to delight them and talk about for months afterwards!
- Recognition Ceremony: Celebrate the achievements of the past months. Recognising hard work can be a significant morale booster and make your team excited for the year or quarter ahead.
- Group Reflection: Allocate time for team members to share their highlights from the past quarter and their aspirations for the next. It fosters a sense of shared purpose and helps to take on board feedback in a relaxed and informal setting.
An away day is a great tool for building team cohesion, boosting morale, and setting the stage for future successes. With these tips, and our expert venue finding guidance, you're sure to get ahead on the new quarter!
Check out our top away day venues for some more inspiration, and get ready to give your team something to remember!!
Browse more venues
Find your perfect venue in our extensive directory!Search venues
Jessamy channels her passion for sustainability and cultural events into shining a spotlight on innovation and inspiration in the events world, and heading up Hire Space's sustainability committee.