Located on the ground floor, the Lecture Theatre and Lower Library provides an inviting setting for conferences. The Theatre was refurbished with help from the Society's Petroleum Group in 1999, and then again for the Bicentenary in 2007. It was named the Janet Watson Lecture Theatre in 2009, in honour of Professor Janet Vida Watson FRS (1923-1985), of Imperial College London, the Society's first woman President (1982-1984). The Lower Library was originally the Society's Main Library. It is now mainly to store foreign periodicals and is used for social gatherings and for refreshments.
The Council Room - Used to be used for meetings of Council and other Society committees. William Babington MD FRS (1756-1833) William Babington was one of the founding 13 members of The Geological Society and it was in his house in early 1807 that the first informal meetings of the Society took place. Although he was an enthusiastic geologist (he gave the Society its first mineral specimen cabinet in 1808) his profession was medicine and he was physician to Guy's Hospital. William Babington was the Society's Seventh President (1822-24).
Arthur Holmes can also be dressed for an intimate, private seated dinner for up to 12 guests. City Dining is a small, young, independent catering company based centrally in NW1 with business activity extending across the capital. Sustainability is very important to City Dining so they tailor their menus to use seasonal and sustainable produce and they only use local suppliers and where applicable buy fair trade products. City Dining can cater of all occasions, including working lunches, fork buffets, canape receptions or private dining.
William Buckland Room. The basement room was converted for use as a committee room in 1988 when bookcases were installed to house the library's collection of rare books. The Rev. William Buckland was a fellow of the Royal Society (1818) and Professor of Mineralogy at the University of Oxford. He became Oxford's first reader in Geology (1819) and was president of the Geological Society from 1824-26, when the Society obtained its Royal Charter.